Monday, December 12, 2011

Lost Love

(Christina originally wrote this post on May 1, 2011)

At the time of my accident, I was in a new relationship. Earlier that year (2004) I had broken off a long term relationship, of almost six years. It was a rocky relationship, that should never have lasted as long as it did. The man I  had been with was very jealous, and controlling, and I was never truly happy, or myself, during my time with him. We dated all through my college years. Once I finally summoned the courage to leave him, I had wasted a lot of time (for both of us). I was already a full fledged, independent adult, and had begun my teaching career. "Mr. Wrong" and I had moved in together, the previous Spring, in a last ditch effort, to make things work. Living together ended up being the final nail in the coffin. I broke things off with Mr. Wrong in September, 2004, and moved back home with my parents. I felt cramped and suffocating, living back under their roof, especially being single, and having so much new found freedom. It didn't take long for me to meet someone new, that I really liked, and it became apparent that I needed to get a place of my own.

Meeting Jimmy, was a one in a million chance encounter. My best friend Christy had also ended a long term relationship, and decided to move back home with her mother, in York PA. Christy and I were neighbors, growing up, at my mom's house in the Poconos. We remained close friends all throughout high school, and college. I'd often visit her, when seeing my family in PA. One day, shortly after moving to York, she was driving around town, and had stopped at a traffic light, when she noticed the guy in the car next her, trying to get her attention. She rolled down her window, and the man asked her if she knew how to get to a certain street he was looking for. He explained, he was on his way to an audition, and ended up getting lost. Since Christy was new to the area herself, she told him she was sorry, that she couldn't help him.

Shortly after, the light turned green, and they both started driving away. For whatever reason, it dawned on Christy, that this guy was my type, and decided to start flashing her lights at him, getting him to pull over. She then proceeded to ask the man, if he was single, and explained that her best friend was single, and might be interested in meeting him. She whipped out a picture of me, on her cell phone, and asked the guy for his phone number. Amused, and surprised, he gave it to her, and they both drove away. The next thing I knew, I was getting a phone call from Christy, explaining this bizarre encounter, and urging me to give the guy a call. At first, I thought she had completely lost her mind, and was cringing at the fact that she made me look like a complete loser, to a total stranger! I thought, "this guy must think I'm pathetic, if my best friend has to resort to flagging down strangers for a date." Reluctant to give the guy a chance, I agreed we could call him together.

We called, and the guy picked up, sounding very happy, and surprised. He was hanging out with some friends, and seemed like a really fun loving person. I could hear his friends chuckling in the background, probably thinking the whole situation was nuts (I know I was), and made me feel all the more nervous. Nervousness aside, I found it very easy to talk to him, and decided to take a chance, to get to know him. Christy had already been planning to come stay with me in NJ, for the weekend, and we had been planning to make a trip into the city (NYC). There was no way I was going to go on a blind date, solo, so we decided to invite him, to spend the weekend with us. I guess he liked my pictures, and our conversation, because he decided to take the risk, and take us up on our offer.

We spent that week, getting to know one another, via phone conversations, and through email. He was so funny, and easy to talk to. We had a similar sense of humor, and were both into the arts. He was a musician, and I was a painter. We both liked video games, shopping, going out with friends, and similar movies. We really seemed to be hitting it off, and I seriously started to doubt if we'd connect on a physical level. His personality, and sense of humor, seemed too good to be true. I felt like we'd been friends forever. Up until that point in my life, I'd never met a guy as funny, outgoing and down to earth, that I also felt attracted to.

I'd had some nice relationships, to some hot (in my opinion) guys, before Mr. Wrong, but none, where I felt I could completely let my guard down. Most of the guys I dated before Mr. Wrong were conceited about their looks, and took life too seriously, were wishy washy about commitment, or too clingy. I tended to be attracted to the "bad boy" types, and the stereotypical "guidos." Based on my experience, I couldn't help but think Christy had judged wrong, and that there was no way it would turn out being a "love connection." Christy and I have different tastes, in men, in terms of physical appearance, and it just didn't seem possible, that the guy I was talking to would be a match.

We had decided to split a hotel room, between the three of us, for the weekend, since there was no way my parents were going to be ok, with having some random stranger spend the night at their house. I knew it was a risk, but figured Christy and I would be safe, since we were two against one, and he'd be in unfamiliar territory. I had only ever gone on one date, with someone I had met online before, and it had been a total disaster. I had mixed feelings about potentially being "stuck" with someone I just ended up wanting as a friend, for an entire awkward weekend. When Friday came, I was a nervous wreck. Christy and I met at my parent's house, after work, and we headed to the hotel, to meet the mystery man.

Christy and I signed into the hotel, and went up to the room, and waited. He called to let us know he had arrived, and I remember looking out the window, and seeing Jimmy for the first time. He was driving a blue BMW, and I could barely make him out, wearing a bright yellow fleece, as he pulled off the exit ramp, across the highway, and made the U-turn to enter the hotel parking lot. My stomach did a somersault. I was about to meet the awesome person, I'd talked to all week, and it looked like Christy was right! He knocked on the door, and I got butterflies in my stomach. I remember opening the door, and I truly took a double take. I asked myself, "How could this be possible?!" He was EXACTLY my type, in every single way. I was so psyched!

That first night, we hung out for a bit, and then went out to eat. The three of us had a great dinner, full of laughs. He was so down to earth. It was like the three of us were old friends. It never felt awkward, or strained. There were no weird moments, or strange silence. We just talked, and joked around. After dinner, we decided to go out dancing. We went back to the hotel, and got changed. We went to a local club. It was "ladies' night" and they had reggeaton on the bottom floor. Jimmy just went with the flow, and we had a fun evening. He was a bit hesitant, and didn't make any "moves" in a romantic sense. We ended the first night without a kiss. I was starting to worry, if maybe he didn't find me attractive, so I asked Christy to drill him for info.

The next morning, we headed out fairly early, and caught a train into Manhatten. Jimmy had never really been to NYC, so it made the trip that much more exciting. Christy had talked to him, while I was getting ready, and assured me he was "into me." Reassured, I decided to be patient. We decided to hit Times Square, and went to ESPN Zone for lunch. I'd been there before, with my dad, and thought Jimmy would like it. After lunch, we walked around, and then went to Toys'R'Us. We had a lot of fun, poking around the store, taking pictures, and being silly. That night we went back to the club. By this time, I was anxious for him to make a move. He didn't disappoint. We had our first kiss, on the dance floor. It was instant chemistry.

That first Sunday, morning we packed up our stuff, and the three of us hit a fast food taco joint, then hung out for a while in my room, at my parent's place, playing video games, and watching TV. Christy kept her distance, to give us some privacy, but nothing much happened (which I was honestly, a little bummed out about >.<). Later that afternoon, I said goodbye to both of them, feeling a little insecure, about how much Jimmy liked me, but satisfied with our fun filled weekend. Jimmy and I talked all that following week, and he invited me to join him, on a trip with his friend, to Penn State, for another friend's birthday, for the weekend. I agreed. This time, I'd be the one risking a trip out of state, to spend a weekend away.

I was nervous at the thought of it just being me, but also happy that he not only wanted to see me again, but was willing to go away with me, for the whole weekend. The plan was to meet at his parents' house, meet up with his friend, and the three of us would drive up to Penn State, in his car. I brought flowers, knowing I'd be meeting his mom, before we left for Penn State. I wanted to make a good first impression, especially since, I figured his family and friends would be suspicious of how we met, and the fact that we would be spending ANOTHER weekend together, even though we barely knew one another. I think my plan worked. His parents were definitely more gracious than mine, about our relationship.

That second weekend, with his friends was a blast! Sparks flew between the two of us, and it was funny seeing, and hearing his friends' reaction to "us." I learned, to my surprise, that he hadn't had many girlfriends (up until that point). Growing up, the local girls mostly viewed him as a friend, and class clown. I felt lucky, for my good fortune to meet him, and at their loss, for not grabbing him.

The third weekend, after we met, we decided to spend ALONE in NJ. We got a hotel room, for the weekend, since staying at my parents' place wouldn't be comfortable, or appropriate. We went out to eat, a few times, but basically spent most of the weekend snowed in. Neither of us minded. It was a memorable weekend, none the less. From there on, in we were pretty inseparable. I fell for him, fast & hard.

We would talk every night, during the week, anxiously biding our time until the weekend. I remember after about a month of dating, I felt like I couldn't wait the five days. One Wednesday night, I decided to drive up to see him, and ended up commuting to work, from PA the next morning. I was exhausted,but it was worth it. We ended up finding a half way point, in Phillipsburg, NJ, and would meet up there, mid week. It became apparent, very early on, that I had outgrown my room, at my parents'. I needed the privacy, and freedom, of having my own place. I started looking, and making plans to move out, that April. In the meantime, we spent most weekends at his parents' and at my step dad's (in the Poconos).

About two months into our relationship, I felt I knew I wanted to be with, on a serious level, and needed to know if he'd be willing to move to NJ. I had already established my career, and needed to stay living close to my job. Luckily, he agreed, and we planned to move in together in the summer, once I had settled into my new place. Things with us moved fast. I felt SO happy, every second I spent with him. Neither one of us could get enough, of one another. We were in love, and it felt AMAZING. We got along well with one another's friends, and family (for the most part- my parents [dad & stepmom] were a little disapproving of how fast things were moving, but I didn't care). Even in the beginning, it just felt RIGHT. We just fit.

Moving into my apartment was awesome! It was a busy year for me. I had been teaching full-time, taking graduate courses once a week, put on three art shows (for my students), painted a mural (at work), ran yearbook club (with my 5th graders), maintained the long distance relationship with Jimmy, got my bar tending license (for summer work), found an apartment, bought & packed everything I needed for my new place (basically staring from scratch-furniture wise), joined a gym and spent time with family and friends. It was hectic, at times, but I was the happiest I'd ever been. All the pieces of my life were falling neatly into place.

Having a space of my own, was fantastic. I felt so happy, and alive. I couldn't wait for Jimmy to move in. We were both eager to start our new life, living together. It was going to be terrific, getting to come home to him, every day. He had signed up, to take the same bar tending course I had, and we planned to check out, and enroll him in school (IAR- a music/tv production school in the city), later that summer. I had roughly three weeks left, in the school year, and things at work, were finally winding down. I had already lined up my summer job, and we had planned to move his things in officially, in two weeks. I had lined up a surgery (cosmetic procedure) for June 27, 2005. The plan was for Jimmy to move in, the week before my surgery, so he could help me with the recovery. His 23rd birthday was fast approaching (6/6/2005), and  June, 2005 was shaping up, to be a busy month, full of new, exciting things. We were blissfully unaware how drastically different our plan would turn out to be.

Saturday, June 4, 2005, started out like any other morning. I awoke, to Jimmy, snuggled up, right next to me (we had been sharing my twin bed-which made for a tight squeeze- we didn't mind). We had thrown an apartment warming  party, a few weekends back, and had a TON of extra booze, laying around. Knowing his birthday was approaching, I had picked up a cake, and had invited a group of my friends to stop by and celebrate. We had a late breakfast/early lunch, and lounged around in our PJs. He practiced playing his guitar, while I laid on the futon, breaking in a new Gameboy game, and snuggling up next to my cat, and her new kitten. By the mid afternoon, I hadn't heard from anybody, so I started making phone calls, to confirm our plans.

A few people canceled last minute, and my aunt and uncle, had decided to take my baby cousin, down the shore for the weekend. My other cousin (19 at the time) had been planning to stop by, with her boyfriend, but changed her mind, and decided to take advantage of having an empty house, and decided instead, to throw a party. I was torn, over what to do, about the change in plans. I knew there were going to people at the party, that didn't get along well (someone I saw briefly) with Jimmy, and my best friend Erin, and her boyfriend were still committed to coming over. I felt guilty, because I had recently missed my cousin's birthday party, and asked Jimmy if he wouldn't mind going. He said it was up to me, so I called Erin, to reschedule, and told my cousin we'd be coming.

It was the first hot weekend of the summer season, and I asked my cousin if my uncle had opened the pool, hoping to be able to go swimming. I looked forward to going swimming every summer, and was anxious to take a dip. I thought an evening swim, with Jimmy sounded romantic. I knew there'd be food and drinks, so I asked if we could spend the night. I figured that way, we could both drink, and relax, and not have to worry about having a designated driver, and/or having to drive home super late that night. She agreed, and I went and packed mine, and Jimmy's things. I got changed, and put my bikini on, under a tank top, and skirt, having every intention to go swimming, later that evening.

We were among the first people to arrive, at my cousin's and I noticed that there was only primarily beer to drink. I don't like beer, so Jimmy and I decided to hit a near by liquor store, for some vodka and OJ. When we got back to the house, my cousin was making jello shots, and her boyfriend was prepping food, for the grill. Jimmy fixed me a drink, downstairs, and then we made our way upstairs, to join the rest of the party. At first, we spent time outside, on the deck, me sitting on his lap, playing Gameboy. We played a round, or two of "beer pong," and then head inside, to play card games. By the time we were done playing a few round of cards, it was past midnight, and I was itching to go swimming. I had been taking photos, throughout the night, as usual. It was a habit of mine; wanting to catalog every moment of our time together.

Around 1-2am (my memory is fuzzy) I decided I had waited long enough, and begged Jimmy to come swim with me. He said he wanted to finish up the round of cards, and he'd come join me. I returned the camera to my backpack, and marched out towards the pool. My cousin's boyfriend was busy at the grill, the night time air, filled with smoke from the barbecue, laughter, and music. I passed through the crowd, and made my way over to the pool. It was dimly lit, by the porch light (some twenty feet away) and the glow off the tiki torches. I kicked off my sandals, and dropped my shirt, and skirt, onto the grass. I hesitated, for a moment, deciding if I wanted to take down the ladder, to the pool deck, and opted to boost myself up, onto a storage container, instead. The pool was a large, circular, above ground pool, about five feet deep, with a fencing, going around the back half. The storage container, was a tall, rubber container, about six inches shorter than the pool itself (used to store rafts, and floatation devices), which rested flush against the open side of the pool. I had to turn around, to face the house, and use my arms, to boost my butt, up onto it. Once I was seated on it, I turned around, with my back to the porch, and stepped up, onto the metal  ledge of the pool. Without a moments' hesitation, or thought, I dove head first, into the dark water. Within seconds, I heard a large cracking sound, and felt the impact, of my head, hitting the bottom.

I remember opening my eyes, and barely seeing my lifeless limbs, hanging at my sides. I was face down, alone, in the water, and I couldn't move. The thought flashed across my mind, " This is it. This is how I die." Then I heard a huge splash, and the next thing I know, Jimmy is in the water, pulling me out of the pool. The next few minutes, were pure panic, and chaos. I knew I had screwed up, BIG TIME.  I was hurt, BADLY. I couldn't feel, or move, most of my body, and the pain radiating from my neck was excruciating. There had been underage drinkers present (including my cousin). Although I didn't provide the alcohol they had been drinking (my cousin's  boyfriend had purchased most of it- as far as I know), I WAS the oldest person at the party, and had EVERYTHING to lose, for my lapses in judgement. I should've NEVER jeopardized myself (my reputation, clean legal record and career), by knowingly being around underage drinkers, family or not. Worst still, I should've NEVER dove, into a shallow pool. To this day, I have no logical reason for why I did what I did. I've been asking myself that question, EVERY  day, since that day.

Panicked, and in shock, Jimmy, my cousin, her boyfriend, and other party goers rushed to my side. I recall them asking me, over and over, if I could move, what had happened, where I was injured, and if I was in pain. I was terrified. My whole life, was literally crumbling down around me. My mind was racing a million thoughts, per second: "How would I explain this to my parents? What would happen at work? Who would cover for my classes? How badly did I hurt myself? What would happen to my new job, I was supossed to start, that Tuesday? What would my aunt and uncle think? What about Jimmy's birthday? If they call 911, will I and/or my cousin get in trouble?" I heard Jimmy shout for someone, anyone to call 911. Some of my cousin's friends were in a frenzy, fearful to call for help. Someone answered Jimmy, saying "We can't there's underage drinkers here." He retaliated, with fury, "I don't give a F*%@! Just do it!" I could hear the terror in his shaky voice. I could see the fright, and shock, on my cousin's face. The pain in my neck, started to overcome me, as I noticed a blur, of red and blue lights, and heard the sirens. I remember being ashamed, to even give my name, as the EMS workers began frantically loading me into the ambulance. Then, darkness. I had blacked out from the pain.

The next thing I remember, I'm in the ER, and they're cutting away my bikini, asking me a million questions, hooking me up to a million machines. My memories of my three weeks in ICU, are blurry, mixtures of reality, and hallucinations (brought on by high fevers-reaching 106). They are among the worst, most traumatic, horrific, terrifying memories of my entire life. My entire life, flipped upside down, in the matter of seconds. I was no longer in control, of ANYTHING. My life was hanging by a thread, and I powerless to do anything, to help myself. I was totally, and utterly helpless, and terrified of dying, and the future ramifications that my accident would have, on my life, on my relationship with Jimmy, and on my family. I knew it was bad, and could possibly get even worst. Although I didn't want to admit it, to anyone, I knew there might be, no coming back from what I'd done.

From the moment my parents (dad and stepmom) entered the ER,  drama ensued. My parents were in shock, and livid. They lashed out, at me, my cousin, my aunt and uncle (who were jerked into the middle of everything), and Jimmy. They berated me, for being so careless, and irresponsible. They couldn't believe I had been so foolish. They guilted me, over and over, about the drinking, and the ugliness, just magnified, as the gravity of my injury, became more apparent. I was never going to walk again. I was going to be completely paralyzed, confined to a wheelchair, and a life of dependence, for the REST of my life. I had thrown my life away, with one stupid mistake. They were furious, about what I had done, and were vicious, treating Jimmy, and my cousin like criminals, for "letting it happen" and "being a part of it." They didn't want him to see me, and used their power, as my next of kin, to force him out, and keep him away from me. They used their promise of help, as leverage, to keep him from being able to talk to me, or see me.

My parents let their grief blind them, with rage. Even though I was on my death bed, and my life hung by a thread (I was intubated, and placed on a vent three times, and had to undergo three major surgeries) they told me I was not allowed to see him, and that I should break things off with him. They blamed him, for everything, from my drinking, to my injury. I had to tell, and retell my story, over and over again, to no avail. They didn't WANT to believe my story. They couldn't accept I was capable, of doing what I did. They felt hurt, and betrayed by my actions, because it placed a tremendous amount of responsibility onto to them, that they felt was unfair. They used the fact that I was going to need their help, to explain my condition to work, shut down apartment, handle my financial responsibilities, sell my car, pack up my things, and the tremendous uncertainty of what kind of care I'd ultimately need, and how to go about initiating, and paying for those services. I had no choice, but to give them Power of Attorney.

They were extremely insensitive to my feelings. They basically kicked Jimmy out, Christy and my mother and sisters (who had traveled from upstate NY and PA) and had no where else to stay, onto the curb, and shut down the apartment, before I even left ICU. They confiscated my cell phone, and camera. They didn't even let Jimmy get his belongings, from the apartment. Jimmy had no choice, but to return to his parent's house, in PA. He was crushed, completely in shock, and devastated. He would drive hours, nearly every day, to try and come see me, only to be turned away, if my parents were present. They threatened me, saying they wouldn't help me, if I continued to see him. They told my mother and sisters, to lie to me, and say he'd left me. They refused.

I was an emotional wreck. I couldn't believe the guilt, and shame they were dumping on me. My stepmom, had even read through my diary, and threw things in my face. My heart was shattered, my soul was trembling. I couldn't believe MY own father, and stepmom were acting this way. I could die, at any moment, and they were busy yelling at me, for drinking, for being stupid, and completely disregarding my feelings towards Jimmy, and the other half of my family. I was crushed. I thought, these people are SUPPOSED to love me, unconditionally. How, and why, was this happening? I hated how they were acting, and how awful they were treating the people I cared about. I felt trapped, between all parties, and felt no matter what I did, I would be in pain.

Despite my parent's unrelenting guilt trips, blame, and shaming, I couldn't bear the thought of losing Jimmy. Every day, I was fighting for my life. I wanting so badly to see him. I wanted to make everything right again. I felt I HAD to get better. I HAD to fix what I'd done. I HAD to somehow redeem myself, in my parent's eyes, and prove my worth. I OWED it to EVERYONE, to get better, and take back control over my life, and start putting things right side up again.

Throughout the four months I spent in ICU, and in the physical rehabilitation facility, I managed to see Jimmy a handful of times. Each time, was filled with bittersweet sorrow, and despair. We were both completely broken. We both felt the weight of the entire world had come crashing down, onto us. We wrestled with feelings of fear, doubt, denial and grief, over what was happening, and couldn't accept the reality that I wasn't going to get better. Neither one of us could understand, the cruel nature, of our misery, and our horrible fate. Why had we met, against such great odds? Why had God shown us such bliss, only to violently, abruptly, tear it away? Nothing made sense anymore. The physical, and emotional pain of coming to grips, with all the change, that had been thrust into our lives, seemed too much for anyone to have to bear. To have my parents, adding fuel to the fire, and purposely creating additional obstacles for us to be together, felt like being punched in the gut. At my weakest, most vulnerable point in my life, the two people I thought I'd be able to lean on, trust, and receive support, completely trampled my spirit.

Once the dust settled, and it was time for me to leave therapy, and begin my new life, in a wheelchair, I ended up being put in a nursing home. After all the pain, tears, and drama, I felt completely abandoned. While I realize it was my fault, for what had happened to me, I never thought my parents would turn their backs on me, the way they did. I felt totally dissolution, and betrayed. I had struggled, and at times pushed away Jimmy, and the rest of my family, because I felt my parents left me with no choice. I had believed they would be the pillars, I could rely on, and in the end, they left me to fend for myself. I felt so hurt. I was especially upset by the fact that I felt I had been backed into a corner, to push Jimmy away, and he was innocent. We loved each other, deeply, and my parents never once, respected the bond we shared, or considered my wants, or needs. To this day, I regret not being able to be stronger, and stand up for myself, and shield Jimmy, and the other half of my family, from my parents cruelty, and insensitivity.

Jimmy and I tried our best to stay together, for six months after my accident, but it ultimately became too much, and we decided to end it. Between, me being stuck in a nursing home, both our lives being flipped upside down, the pressure from my parents, and the sheer sadness of what had happened, we were both zombies. By the time we decided to go our separate ways, I was still trying to absorb the reality, of all the changes to my daily life, and felt completely torn, battered, and numb. I was trying to come to grips with day to day traumas, like having no privacy, losing everything I'd worked for, feeling abandoned, and betrayed by my parents, needing to be fed, clothed, bathed, and being completely dependent, and feeling like I had absolutely NOTHING left. I knew the reality, that I might never get better. I couldn't handle the thought of sentencing Jimmy, to the Hell, that had become my life. Every moment we had spent together, that I was paralyzed, all we could do was cry. Every second killed me. I wanted a better life, than I could give to him, for him. I felt too weak, to handle being together THIS way. I couldn't escape the guilt, of asking, or expecting him to sacrifice a chance at a normal life. I HAD NO options, he did. I couldn't live with the thought of putting him through, even a fraction of what I'd already experienced. I decided to push him, and encourage him, to leave. I loved him too much, to be selfish. I had to let him go, even if it killed me, and that's exactly what I did.

He came to see me, one last time, at the nursing home, shortly before Christmas. Knowing it would be the last time I ever saw him, felt like my heart was being ripped apart. Logically, I knew that this was the right thing to do; that we had so few options; that the cards were stacked insurmountably against us. Never the less, my insides were screaming in pain. I'd already lost my freedom, independence, privacy, my career, and everything else I'd worked for, and now I was losing the one person I loved more than life itself. It was horribly unfair. We kissed, and cried, and said our goodbyes, and as I watched him leave I completely fell apart. I cried, and cried, for what seemed like forever. My heart felt completely shattered. It was the lowest point of my life. I felt like I'd been stripped of absolutely everything. I felt utterly empty. I wallowed in misery for months, barely able to eat, or want to do anything. I immersed myself in the Internet, escaping reality watching videos, writing, and playing video games.

From time to time, I'd torture myself, by looking at Jimmy's Myspace profile, or at old pictures of us. I clung to the hope of being cured. When we parted, I had promised him, if I ever got better, I'd come find him. That fantasy became my motivation, for moving forward, for a very long time. The nights in the nursing home, and periodic hospital stays, were always terrifying. The staff was always short, and I was often helpless, and alone. I would lay in bed, exhausted, but unable to sleep. I'd imagine what we would be doing, if the accident never happened. I'd wonder what he was doing, and if he'd really gotten over me. Significant dates, and holidays would pass, and I'd think about what I SHOULD be doing, and cry, over the reality of what my life had become. It seemed horribly unfair, that I was stuck, longing for him, crying over him, when for all I knew, he had moved on. My heart, and soul, wouldn't let me move on. I still loved him, intensely, and it hurt, just thinking about the life we had, and what could've been. I beat myself up, over and over again.

After a year of living in the nursing home, I knew I had to try and get out. I felt like I was dying, a little more, every day I stayed there. I hated having no control over my schedule, no privacy, never getting any sleep, the relentless invasion of my person space,  and the depressing atmosphere. I couldn't relate to most of the people, and to add insult to injury, Mr. Wrong's cousin moved in, and the management decided to put her in my room, of all places. It was the final straw. I had to leave, or I was going to collapse inward, and give up on life.

Initially, the plan was to move in with my two best friends (Erin and Edwin- who were engaged to be married). The more digging I did, about services, and what I'd qualify for, it seemed I might be able to move out on my own. That seemed like the better choice, since I didn't want to be a burden, and I'd have more privacy, and independence. In the end, I found a two bedroom apartment, and moved in with a buddy of mine, Steve. Even though I have no functional movement, the state only allowed me eight hours of home health aide services, per day. Having a roommate was key, because he provided me the security of having someone here, at night, in the event of emergency. It worked out well.

After a year of living together, Steve decided he wanted to leave, to go live with his girlfriend. I totally understood, and wished him well. The roommate I had lined up to move in next, bailed out, at the last minute, so I called on family to help me out. My mom and sister ended up leaving upstate NY, and came to stay with me. Having family around me was a nice change. I could rely on them for a lot more, and it gave me more freedom to do things my way. By this time, it was 2008, and things with my parents (dad & stepmom) had also cooled down. I had forgiven them, for everything that happened the first year after my accident, and we had moved passed the tension, and constant drama. They visited on a weekly basis, and everything was back to as "normal" as possible, given my condition.

In October 2008, I was in the midst of suing my aunt and uncle's home owner's insurance, and the company that installed the pool. It was a tough decision, that I had made, way back in 2006, owing to the fact that my family had cut ties with me, and that the placement of the storage container, coupled with the lack of fencing (around the entire perimeter- not just the back half), were contributing factors in my injury, and relentless pressuring from my parents. Looking back, it's a decision I regret. Anyway, the whole process moved exceeding slow, and it wasn't until this time that I had to give an official deposition, and sit face, to face, with the prosecution's lawyers. It was during this time, that it became necessary, for my lawyer to track down Jimmy, and get his statement, for his "side of the story." Just knowing that he'd be dragged back into the mess, and forced to relive the memories, of that day, stirred up a lot of pain, and emotion for me. I wished he, and my family, could somehow be left alone. I felt guilty enough already, and I hated the thought of reopening old wounds, for everyone.

After speaking with my lawyer, Jimmy called Christy, saying he wanted to get in touch with me. At first, I was extremely hesitant. I had found out sometime before this point, that he was in a serious relationship. My own masochistic tendency, of periodically spying on his Myspace and Facebook, had bit me in the ass, when I saw he had changed his status from "single," to "in a relationship." It's not that I naively thought he wasn't sleeping with other women, but I had been holding out hope (up until that point) that any of his flings, would be just that; meaningless, temporary affairs. Seeing the words "in a relationship" felt like someone driving a stake through my heart, because it meant he had found someone he cared about, enough to openly commit too. Knowing he was "in a relationship" meant he had officially moved on, and was over me. Just knowing that he loved someone else sucked the life out of me. If he loved someone else, then there was no hope left for us, to ever be together again. The thought of a future without him, seemed empty, and meaningless. What was the point of trying, if we'd never be together again? I felt like all the thoughts I had been suppressing floated back, up to the surface, and I felt the intense pain, of when he first left, and I was newly injured. As much as I wanted to hear his voice again, I didn't think I'd be able to handle being "just friends."

I struggled with myself, feeling selfish, for not being to be happy, that he had a normal life (what I said, and thought I wanted). For so long, I had the momentum of believing there was a chance, I might be cured. By 2008, I had little hope left of being cured, and the reality of Jimmy loving someone else, completely deflated the remaining wind, that had been moving my figurative sails forward. I wrestled with my deep desire to have contact with him, against the stark reality, that he had moved on. It made the thought of talking to him, unbearable, but I agreed to, out of feeling that after all we'd been through, I owed him at least one chance to talk again. I felt at the very least, I wanted to verify that he was happy, and that my sacrifice had been worth it, and also to apologize, for everything; for the accident, for not standing up to my parents, and for how I had treated him, those first few weeks, in ICU.

I told Christy she had permission, to give him my number, and braced myself for his call. When I heard his voice again, for the first time, in almost three years, I burst into tears. I tried to keep my composure, and hide it. I know at first, I might have seemed cold. I wanted to know what his intensions were, and let him know how I felt about him. I didn't want to guilt, or hurt him, but I needed him to know, that even though he had moved on, I hadn't. We reminisced, and shared a few tears, but I tried very hard, not to let my guard down, or get wrapped up in the moment. He was with someone new. Reminiscing about old times, or even the fact that he said he still cared for me, didn't mean he was "in love" with me, or change the fact that I was still very much injured, and he was with someone else.

I tried my best to remain friends for about two years, and even let him come visit me, once. During the two years (10/2008-9/2010) we talked, he was forever sending mixed messages. My hopes fell, and crashed, like waves, hitting the shore, and I became a mental wreck. I wanted him to get to know me again, and see the realities of my life, while at the same time, I needed to hear him say the words, that we "definitely had no future." I needed to know, if "getting better" meant the only way we could ever be together. For months he skirted the issue, and I tried being patient. On one hand, he wanted me in his life, on the other hand, he was committed to someone else.

I knew it was unrealistic of me, to expect him to dump his girlfriend, drop everything, and pick up where we had left off. On the other hand, "just being friends" and knowing he was with someone else, felt like torture. I told him I was sorry, that my life was different, that my heart was stuck, in limbo. I didn't have as many options as he had. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't handle being just friends. I wasn't able to open myself up, to anyone else, because I felt my heart was with him. I felt like, even if there was a .01% chance that I might get better again, I'd drop everything, and want to be with him. Knowing that, I felt it was unfair, to "use" someone else, just to "pass the time," or to avoid the pain of being alone.

I let him come visit, in a desperate attempt to give us both answers. The visit was cold, and awkward, and extremely painful for me. I felt like perhaps he needed a jolt of reality, to see that I wasn't getting better. I needed him to see my life, and me, for what it was, in the present, and not for the idealistic memories we shared, or for a future that most likely, would never happen. Ultimately, I told him, that he needed to accept the fact (while forcing myself to do the same) that I wasn't going to get better, and that staying on the fence, by not letting me go,was unfair to me, to him, and to his girlfriend. I told him, it was too painful for me to be his friend, especially while he was with someone else and wished him a happy life, and goodbye (again).

Lately I've been struggling a lot, with finding reason to keep trying. I'm tired of feeling sick, of all the medicine, and the humiliating, degrading treatments I have to endure, day in, and day out. I'm praying, and begging God, to cure me, or take me. I've been wrestling myself, with thoughts of wanting to give in, and stop trying. I feel ready to leave this life. The other night, I asked God to send me a sign; something I'd understand, to help me decide what I should do. The next day, I get a message, from Jimmy, saying he's left his girlfriend, decided he "needs to be single" and wants to be in my life.

I couldn't believe my eyes. What were the chances, that I'd ask for a sign, and Jimmy just happened to pop back up, into my life? I told him to give me a call, and we talked. He told me that he realized he still loved me, and felt he needed to be single; that he wanted to focus on his music, but also hoped he could be a part of my life. He asked if he could come see me, and I explained that'd I'd been very down, and considering refusing treatment, and that he'd been in my thoughts; that I'd been wanting to see him, one last time. Obviously, he was upset to hear my suffering, and expressed his wish to be able to help improve my life, enough to keep wanting to live. We made plans for him to visit the following Tuesday.

Here's what I wrote, in my journal,  after our visit:

"It was so good seeing Jimmy yesterday. We cried & laughed a lot. We reminisced about old times. We have so many happy memories. We both feel although our time together was short, those months together were the best, happiest memories of both our lives. We both feel strongly, that we were meant to be together, and so, so sad that this happened to me (and us). We both feel like a huge chunk of ourselves died that day, and that we'll never be the people we were before. We both terribly miss what we had, and desperately wish we could have a normal life together. We both feel a tremendous amount of pain, anger, and sadness, over the future (and life we both believe we would have had) that was robbed from us, by my accident.

He apologized over, and over, for leaving me, and not being able to be stronger, and for breaking my heart, by being with his ex-girlfriend. He said, he only ever had a "plan" for us, and was just fooling himself, trying to live a " normal" life by being with her. He said it wasn't fair to her either, because his thoughts were always of me. He said he gave me his everything, and feels he has nothing left, to give anyone else; that I'm his everything. He said he's tired of trying to be something he's not, and it's not fair to be with other people, when he knows his heart isn't in it 100%, like it was, with me. He said he loves me so much, and can't bear the thought of losing me. He held me in his arms, and it felt SO good. I just wanted to stay in his embrace forever.

For so long, I've felt like I was crazy, for still loving him, as intensely as I do; for thinking of him, as often as I do, and for not be able to let go, or move on, despite the fact that he left, and even the fact he was with His ex-girlfriend, for so long. I've been so heartbroken, and in so much pain, thinking my feelings were one sided. I've never for a moment, thought I could ever feel the way I do about him, for anyone else. I've never tried opening up my heart to anyone else, because I truly love him. I can't explain it, but I feel like we were SUPPOSED to be together. There hasn't been one single day, in these past six years, that I haven't thought about him. I feel connected him, and I have no logical explanation, other than I feel like he is my soulmate. I can't understand why we met, and got to experience such joy, only to be ripped apart. I can't help but wonder if God has a reason, or if it's just horrible bad luck.

While part of me wants desperately to be with him, I understand his hesitation, better than anyone. I believe he loves me. I believe part of him wants to be with me too. We can't help but compare what we had, to what we have now, and it HURTS. As much happiness, and peace, as being together gives us, it brings with it, a tremendous amount of PAIN, because we are confronted by the realities of my limitations, and how they effect the things we WANT to do. I want so badly to be able to jump into his arms, and wrap myself around him, and never let him go. We wish we could lay in bed, like we used to, with his arm around me, and my leg draped across his body, and enjoy the FEEL of each other's touch, and the warmth of our skin. We miss being able to DO the things we used to do, GO to the places we used to go, BE the couple we WERE. Every second we are together it's HARD because it's a reminder of the perfect life we had, and we can't help but want that IDEAL life. Every second we are confronted with urges, that we can't act on, because I PHYSICALLY can't. It's like there's a wall between us, that neither of us have the power to tear down. It keeps us separated, even though we wish we could be together.

My disability makes being together, in an intimate way, seem WRONG, and AWKWARD, and it's not because he doesn't love me, or think I'm beautiful. I just feel like a stranger, in a foreign body. I feel trapped, and ashamed, by disability. It makes it hard for me to let my guard down, or let him in, in the ways I wish I could. I'm sure it is for those same reasons that he feels the need to hold back, or be hesitant. My disability is like a barrier, that makes of both sad, and uncomfortable to try to be together, in a normal sense, because the reality of the matter is, that my life is NOT normal. The way my body is, and the way I'm forced to live is painful, both to live through, and to witness. We both know that there is nothing "technically" stopping us from being together, but feel like THIS life (with me being paralyzed) makes every moment bittersweet. Yes, we could "do things differently," or try and sugar coat things, with compromise, but deep down, we're both hurting inside, because everything we have to "do differently," only serves to further highlight what we can no longer do, and what we're missing.

The selfish part of me, wants him here, by side, despite the constant reminders, and the inevitable comparisons, that we'll both face. There's no escaping the limitations we face, or the memories we share. We both feel grateful to have experienced the happiness we once had, but it will always overshadow the present. I will always feel the guilt, of feeling like a burden, or like my disability is holding him back. He never says it, but it is the truth. My paralysis holds ME back, and prevents ME from being everything I WANT to be, and from doing everything I WANT to do. It prevents me from being the girlfriend I want to be, wife I want be, and mother I want to be. I want to be able to GIVE him so much MORE. I feel like we BOTH deserve, and want a "normal" life, and don't blame either of us, for finding it hard to accept THIS life, or for wanting better for ourselves.

Being with me, as a boyfriend, or a husband, would require sacrifice; sacrifices I wish I didn't have to make myself, but that paralysis offers me NO CHOICE. I couldn't show him normal affection, I can't even return his hugs. We couldn't have a normal sex life. We are both very physical people, and very much enjoyed the feel of one another, and being physically intimate. It hurts, NOT being able to share that, with one another, and let's be honest, physical intimacy is EXACTLY the distinguishing factor, between lovers and friends. We ARE friends, but we want to be lovers. We want it ALL. Going through the motions, is awkward, and doesn't FEEL real, because I quite literally CAN'T feel, or even participate. I wish I could be a normal girlfriend, or wife, but I can't. My body won't let me do what I want.

My life is ruled by the whims of my body. I'm constantly sick. I have the awkwardness of the catheter to contend with, on top of bowel program, which makes every other day Hell on earth. I have constant fear, and anxiety, over my lack of control, over my bodily functions, and the embarrassment, and shame that comes along, with never knowing if I'll have an accident, or not. It's disturbing, and disgusting. The unpredictability makes it hard for me to ever feel relaxed. My near constant dysreflexic symptoms (fevers, chest pain, cold sweats & chills) have made my life miserable. I'm always feeling sick, or uncomfortable, and most days I'm bed bound. What kind of life is that, for Jimmy? It's painful going out, for both of us, because of all the reminders. We're surrounded by normal people, with normal families, doing normal things; it sucks, and it hurts. Most days I'm not even well enough, to be able to go out. That's not fair to him, or anyone else. I feel like it's horrible enough that I'm forced to deal with all the things I have to endure. It wouldn't be right, or fair of me, to expect him (or anyone) to willingly go through this, day after day.

If he decided he wanted to try, I would, because I do love him, and want to be with him. I have nothing to lose. I feel like I'm running on vapors, and I'd love to spend whatever time I have left, with him at my side, but I'll settle for whatever amount of time he's willing to give me. I couldn't bear the pain, of thinking he loved his ex-girlfriend, and no longer loved me. Now that he's no longer with her, I can tolerate it. I'm not naive, and I know being "single" means he's free to be with other women. He's made no commitment to me, and I wouldn't ask it of him, but as long as I don't know about that stuff, and he says he loves me, I don't care, because I don't feel it's right to expect him to sacrifice normal desires for me. I want to have sex, and do normal things, but I can't. If I could, I would. I don't want to rob him of anything, the way paralysis has stolen from me. He has a choice, and I envy it. I respect it. I wish I had a healthy body, and more choices. I never want to take any opportunity away from him, because I love him, and want better for him, just as I do for myself.

I know it might seem selfish of him, to want to be in my life, but not commit to me, despite the fact he says he loves me. I understand his reasons, because I feel his mixed feelings, pain, and confusion myself. We are both torn between what the lives we have, and the lives we want. Although I love him, more than anything, the pain and suffering, of my life, is becoming unbearable, and I don't know how much longer I can hold on. I know losing me with hurt him, tremendously (just as it will many of my friends & family). It kills me, just thinking about the pain my death will cause the people I love, especially if I "choose" to leave my loved ones behind, by refusing treatment. I wrestle with the thought of hurting the people I love, versus the pain and suffering I experience every day. Every day, I try to put myself second, and prevent hurting the people I love, even though I'm exhausted, and dying inside. I want so badly, to be free of this prison, called paralysis.

I'm tired of feeling sick, and enduring awful treatments. I'm tired of feeling deprived, and sick of seeing happiness, and what I want, all around me. I'm terribly sad, over what I've lost, and am not satisfied with what I have left, and my limitations. This life has been torture. I wish Jimmy (and some of my loved ones) could see a few days in my life; witness everything. I think that might help him (them) understand the magnitude of my suffering, and all that I MUST go through, just to "live" this way. Maybe, if he (they) could see the gory, humiliating, pathetic, existence I'm forced to live, he'd (they'd) find a measure of peace, and understanding for why I want to die. Maybe he (they) could let me go, without so much pain, and without such a heavy heart.

Ultimately, my greatest wish, and prayer to God, is that I be freed from THIS life (whether by death, or miraculous cure). My hope is that there is a heaven, and that my separation from my loved ones will only be temporary. If I could be with Jimmy, the way things were before, that alone, would be heaven for me."


  1. This was a very powerful post, and thank you for at last giving us a glimpse of Jimmy.

  2. Oh my poor dear Chrissy, I have been writing my own blog as a stroke victim, but I will never, ever feel the way that you do my darling girl. I wish that I could live near you so that we can be of comfort to both of us. I tried to think of a way to end my life a couple of years ago, but couldn't think of how to do it and now I am glad although I don't have the sadness or pain that you are going through. I hope that I can write to you often, as I think I have a lot to learn from you and I feel that you can learn a lot from me. Wendy from Australia

  3. A very personal blog. I don't really see here that Jimmy got to have many thoughts at all. It is all about her thoughts which I guess it was her blog. It doesn't say he didn't think she could be a great wife, mother,lover, declined the opportunity to make love different (she said she wouldn't because she was "intimate") or said that he wouldn't be around to see all of the stuff that she said she wished he could see that was required to live a day in her life. Doesn't say he said that he wanted to date others on the side, but she said that she would do that. He wasn't given much credit for a man that seemed to really love a woman and was pushed out when he was in pain and hurting by who she described as her family and later really her. Though this says it is about others feelings its not there.Many ppl in chairs ladies and gentlman love each other and have full and exploding lives. Their intimacy is beyond what others would even imagine.This is due to trust and deep understanding. There are no boundaries when you truly know a person this deep. I am sorry that Christina missed that part of it. Able bodied ppl have probs. If they don't they're not being truthful. She may have missed some of the best days of her life. Jimmy will never know as he wasn't allowed to find out....She wouldn't allow herself to accept herself. I hope others involved here do continue ahead and have a very blessed life,remembering the positive that they can, but not focusing where it will keep them from living!.

    1. dear Juls when u r robbed of everything a normal man can do u become a but jealous, and if u again read the whole blog again again the girl said that she was so lucky to have jimmy in her life and that she felt sad that she couldn't stand for him when her parents was against him, u see life is so uncertain sometime that we don't know what we r doing and how it will end up....but i am so glad that god have let them met few years before .....we as human r so lucky to get a true love a soul mates even if for few years ....glad they got each others....
      as we know not always true love story reach their happy endings ....hope they will re unite again in form of daughter and father ....god keep all his loved one safe and sound

  4. Shame on your parents. Shame on them. You poor thing. During those early days, you needed all the help and sympathy you could get. Shame on them.


  6. God rest your soul. Thank you for the blog you wrote that has given new insight to people. Life is not only here on earth. Continue to have an amazing life!

  7. Ms. Symanski,
    You were my favorite teacher throughout elementary school. I would look forward to art class every week. I'm in high school now and many years have passed since your accident. You are a true inspiration to all and especially to me. I just want you to know that you were an amazing teacher and I hope you rest in peace.
    Your #1 Student

  8. I don't see how anyone could find any fault with her, her choices, her feelings. What a sweet, precious woman...who loved life, everything and everyone who was in it, and who by all accounts was generous, thoughtful, giving, kind...a wonderful friend, an awesome sister/daughter/aunt, and the sweet loving girlfriend/wife we'd all dream of having. It wasn't her fault what happened to her. She held on for SIX YEARS, every day finding reasons to hang on a little longer, she suffered in matters of the heart in ways most of us will never have to endure. She suffered physically in ways most of us will never experience. I hope God saved up every tear she shed and gave them back to her as diamonds for her to wear in His kingdom. Her story breaks my heart.

  9. Dear Chrissy, the two of you loved more in your short time together than most of us love in a lifetime. Rest In Peace, Sweet girl.

  10. David, your words brought on the full-fledged sobs that I had held onto while reading Chrissy's blogpost. Very insightful, thank you.

  11. Christina said: "In October 2008, I was in the midst of suing my aunt and uncle's home owner's insurance, and the company that installed the pool. It was a tough decision, that I had made, way back in 2006, owing to the fact that my family had cut ties with me, and that the placement of the storage container, coupled with the lack of fencing (around the entire perimeter- not just the back half), were contributing factors in my injury, and relentless pressuring from my parents."

    I don't understand. Why on earth did she sue anyone? She was the one who dove into that pool. Nobody and nothing made her do it.

    It really is disappointing that she made someone else pay for the mistake she alone made.