Thursday, March 31, 2011

IBS & SCI

I had a long conversation with my friend Mariam the other night. She's a fellow AMFPA artist and quadriplegic (I hate that description), like me. This month marked fifteen years, since her accident. She lives on her own, in Chicago. She's an amazing artist, and has a wonderfully positive attitude about life, and dealing with living with paralysis. Although she's admitted to me that she's had her fair share of dark days, and moments of feeling like she wanted to give up on life, she lived through that rough period of her life to tell the tale, and has been trying to help me see the possibility of finding happiness, despite our injuries. We share a lot in common, and I really appreciate her insight, and her taking time to try and cheer me up.

Just like I feel it's impossible for most of my friends to see the world through the lens, and perspective on life, that paralysis has given me, it's near impossible for me to see (or imagine) my life through Mariam's eyes. I have a couple friends (including Mariam) that have been injured over a decade, and it's hard for me to wrap my head around that amount of time, living this way. When I think about the Hell these last six (almost) years have been, and my deteriorating health, my mind begins to short circuit, at the thought of having to go through this for another six, or ten years. I get chocked up, just at the thought. It's a very scary, hopeless filled future, through my eyes, at this point in my journey, right now.

Mariam said she went through a similar extremely dark period in her life, where she gave up caring. She said her poor health was a big contributing factor to her mood, and both fed off of one another, in a viscous downward spiral. I feel caught in the current of a similar cycle. It's very hard to envision any brightness in a future, that is certain to include more of the same stuff that I've been going through, and will continue to go through, unless miraculously cured. No matter how you slice it, bowel programs, catheters, lack of privacy and being dependent on others, is part of my future. Those are all inevitables, I can't escape.

Mariam agrees with me, that bowel program is a horrendous aspect of living with paralysis, that we need. However, she said that there might be ways of "streamlining" my program, so that it's not SUCH a burden. She and I discussed our routines, and I was kind of shocked by the comparisons. I have my BP every other day (in the morning). It usually lasts two hours, or more, and entails me sitting strapped to a commode, over the toilet. I have a nurse present, the entire time, who uses a suppository and manual stimulation, every ten to twenty minutes, until I'm "empty" (disgusting, gross & disturbing, I know). On top of that, I take five Senekot and two Colace pills each day. Not to mention, trying watch my diet and eat plenty of veggies and fiber. Despite all that, I still have occasional "accidents", which are terribly traumatic, and usually unexplained. I have at least one a month. Occasionally (like last week) I'll have a BP day with near to no "results" and end up then having to have BP for three days, back to back, as to not mess up my nursing schedule. In contrast, Mariam was telling me, her BP only takes 45 minutes, every THREE days.

I've gotten quite a lot of feedback from other people that have BP, and routines seem to vary widely, from individual, to individual. I've had more than one person respond to my posts (in Care Cure forums), with their own horror stories of three hour BPs, hemorrhoids and the alternative of trading it all in for a colostomy. As I've said a million times, I'm not willing to entertain the colostomy bag option. Knowing the Hell I currently go through, and how my body reacts, I also can't envision being able to get away with only having BP every three days, like Mariam. Although it sounds like a WONDERFUL alternative, to my current routine (the best idea I've heard), I honestly don't think my body could tolerate waiting that long to "go." As it is, I experience a lot of extra AD like symptoms the night before BP. I attribute the discomfort (chills, fevers, chest pressure and sweating) with gas, and with needing to go to the bathroom. I've tried taking Beano & Gas-X, on hopes of alleviating some of the discomfort, but it never does. Not to mention, the days my BP doesn't produce the "typical" amount of stool (OMG! I want to vomit, just typing this), I almost always end up having an accident, which to me, is further proof that's there's just no way my body would let me get away putting BP off, an extra day. In fact, it's been suggested to me by several people, that I ought to go back to having BP every day (like when I was living in the nursing home). I definitely had less instances of incontinence, when I was having BP daily. However, I'm at a point where I literally rather die, than go back to having BP daily.

Mariam said that she thought it's a possibility that the nurses working with me, aren't being aggressive enough, in their techniques. She and I talked at length about this, and she explained to me about having two sphincters, and the importance of the nurses putting the suppositories "up," high enough and how crucial the stimulation process is. To be honest, it was a bit too detailed of an anatomy lesson for me, and I admitted that I try to be the least involved in the whole BP process, as I can, given the fact it's my own body. Normally during BP, I try to pay attention to the news, and distract myself from the ugly realities of my life. I love it when I know I'll have a nurse with me that knows me well, because it means I can be relaxed enough, to NOT have to discuss anything about the actual BP, or give instructions. When I'm with a nurse that I'm familiar with, I basically just let them "do what they need to do" and I zone out, and try and remove my thoughts from my surroundings.

Taking Mariam's advice (knowing deep down that I need to be control and directing my care), I decided to bring up some of our discussion with my nurse, to make sure she is in fact doing everything correctly (which I was pretty sure she was). She acknowledged all of the important points, and said she'd be more than happy to try her best to speed things along. The thing is, there's often times when my nurses (including the nurse I spoke with) have told me that they've been "up there," and couldn't feel a thing. Then later that same day, I'll end up going more. So basically what MY nurses have to do, is determine when I'm "done" based on quantity, and not only just by what they feel. Sometimes they'll even have to use a second suppository to "get things moving." When it's all said and done, I never feel comfortable (meaning, not being paranoid about having an accident) unless I've gone a certain amount. It ends up being a waiting game. The nurses keep checking, and stimulating, until I "go" that certain amount. It's awful. Regardless, I'm usually always paranoid of accidents. Partly because they have happened randomly, even after a "good" BP, and secondly, because the threat is always there, and the trauma of it happening once, has been enough to keep me forever worried. It's pretty much become my worst fear, that I fear on an almost constant basis.

Before my accident, when I was around twenty, or twenty one, my mother had a scare, thinking she might have Chrone's disease. She ended up having a colonoscopy done, and was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome- aka spastic colon). I had always had bathroom issues myself, often suffering from diarrhea and almost always getting sick, if I was anxious, or upset about something. I decided to get myself checked out, around the same time, and was also diagnosed with IBS. I was given pills, that didn't help, and I stopped taking them. I never found any direct relation to food, or drink, but definitely believe there were psychological triggers. I can remember being sick to my stomach (with the runs) for every major event in my life. Not being unable to use public restrooms, and being highly sensitive about the matter, complicated having spastic colon, and I remember many days that I was doubled over in pain, because I HAD to "go," but couldn't bring myself to use the bathroom, wherever, or around whoever I was with, at the time.

Between my conversation with Mariam, and with my nurse, I got to thinking if maybe it's not so much my hemorrhoids that cause me so much discomfort, and make my bowel program seemingly so hard to manage and control, but perhaps it's the fact that I still have IBS. It's not that I've never had this thought before, but I always ruled it out, given the fact that I know my biggest trigger of my IBS, was always my emotions. I've always assumed, since there is no longer a conscious connection between my brain, and my ability to control my bowels, that IBS too, would no longer be an issue. I figured, if my emotions still ruled my IBS, then theoretically, I'd be able to use anxiety to my advantage, and will myself into needing to go. That most certainly isn't the case. I'm anxious/paranoid about BP specifically, 99% of the time, so based on that alone, I'd be "going" all the time. On the other hand, I wonder if my anxiety and IBS create more gas, and sensations of needing to go, that my body is interpreting as pain, and thus creating all the AD symptoms. It would explain a lot. I'm curious to know if anyone else with a SCI has had experience of being previously diagnosed with IBS, and if he/she has had any similar issues of AD and unexplained problems with BP and/or episodes of incontinence. I'm also curious to ask my doctor what he thinks. Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure. One frustrating aspect of IBS, is that it's difficult to treat. It's even harder to try and treat something you can't directly feel. I'm grasping at straws, but it's an idea I'm curious I'd like to throw out there, and get some feedback on.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. I can't comment on IBS related to SCI, but I can tell you some things that work to control my IBS: (1) Activia and (2) calcium supplements. When I eat Activia everyday, it regulates things amazingly well. I read about calcium supplements on an IBS related forum and tried them a couple years ago. They help to stop diarrhea and "firm" everything up.

    Gas X and Beano are pretty useless for me too. I end up taking tons of Immodium, but that would probably counteract what you're trying to accomplish because it will stop you from going.

    I think your emotions definitely still influence your IBS. Think about how stressed and emotional you are all the time. That has to affect your body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've thought about the yogurt route. The thing is, I limit myself so much already, that having to eat the same thing, every day, sounds like a big bummer. Food is one of my few pleasures, and I only eat a small breakfast, dinner and a snack. If I had to only eat a yogurt every morning for breakfast, or every night for snack, I'd get tired of it quickly, and it ends up becoming more of a medication, than something yummy to eat. I've wrestled with eating yogurt since my accident, but only ever manage to get through a week, before I'm dying for cereal, or toast again. I hate that the BP effects my diet, on top of everything else. I should probably go back to eating to Viactivs. I take a women's one a day vitamin, but I could probably use more calcium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Chrissy. I saw your post on the Reeve Paralysis website. I have some ideas and history that I'd be happy to share, but they might be too long and too personal to post here. If you go to my contact page at my website, http://www.leftybydefault.com/contact/, send me an email and I'll see if I can help in any way. I've been kind of where you are myself, and it is so difficult, I know. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete